The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Video Cards Needed.....


Reglue, formally The HeliOS Project, is in a bit of a crunch with Video cards.

Many of the computers we donate to financially-disadvantaged kids will need improved 3D graphics, especially for our students that require extra GPU power for 3d CAD and scientific software. Currently, we are having good results with the nVidia GeForce 9800GT. It does not require an additional power source and has the necessary power most of our students need.

We can also use the ATI equivalent Radeon HD5450, although those drivers can be a bit of a challenge in Linux. Normally we would just purchase the cards we need but donations have been a bit slow this last quarter so if you have a card of this quality and can afford to donate it, please contact me helios at fixedbylinux dott kom and I can provide you with a shipping address.

We sincerely appreciate your help.

Ken

4 comments:

evaline said...

How much does one cost? I just started a new job so maybe I can find the cash to donate...

Unknown said...

I think i saw them pn newegg for 54.00 but ebay will probably have refurbs or used cheaper.

Gavin said...

Can you elaborate on the problems you have with AMD GPUs/drivers?

The reason I ask is because the 9800 GT is getting to be old and difficult to find. I ran some numbers and I believe the Radeon HD 6670 Turks XT is a good replacement for the aging G92/a/b GPU, but Turks XT is from the same GPU family as the Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar PRO, 40nm, VLIW5) so they would have nearly identical drivers. The HD 6670 fits into a nice 12W/66W TDP envelope and so I would feel more comfortable sending you one of those vs a random 9800 GT that could actually contain a G92a 65nm GPU @ 125W TDP.

Unknown said...

Gavin, sorry for the late reply buddy, and thank you. Of course I can make that card work and my search on the various topics of Linux Drivers shows it to be fairly easy to get the ATI/AMD binaries to work. I would be thrilled to have one of them. The only reason we like the particular card asked for is that it works absolutely great in the systems that we install and it's been a workhorse for us. Thanks again.